I went to a fancyshmancy "Holiday Celebration" at Hobart Manor with Shalane tonight (er, yesternight?) because she had the most pledges for the phone-a-thon thing that she works for. At first felt hella outta place cause everyone was acting all fancyshmancy until this woman, Dr. Gibson, came and sat with us. She definately calmed the air a whole lot, telling us about herself - a dean at CUNY - Medgar Evans College. After awhile, we mingled & ate (goood food!) and then she came back around to give us business card. We end up speaking to her again & she mentions that someone she had met was an editor of People magazine. At that point, a big huge alarm went off in ours heads & we were all ears. The way she spoke to us about these functions & networking kept me interested. In my three years of being in college, I've never felt so moved by someone. I definately felt her honesty & integrity when she was telling us about how we should go upon things. Once we were satisfied with the quickly learned, life long knowledge she had downpoured upon us we were off. It felt good cause I felt like here we are, taking us under her wing just for the night. Ended up meeting some good people: an former Dean of Study Abroad (?), principal of the Academy of Performing Arts in Paterson, and a handful of people on the Board of Trustees/Alumni Foundation, Mrs. Spert - WPU's president's wife (she was so sweet & even insisted we called her Myrna(sp?).
Despite the awkwardness at the beginning of the night, I felt good when I let there. The best way of dealing with situations like that (never having attended anything of that nature) is to be thrown into it, having no expectations. Aside from the whole business aspect, I felt like I was in Blair Waldorf's world, ahaha, mingling with others over a glass of spiced wine, lox and other hors d'oeuvres. There were hella oldies but goodies, many being benefactors of WPU. But yeah, suuuper good night. As much as I had a good time, I didn't realize how tiring these things could be! Even though it was one function, it gives me an idea of how wealthy people may look at these things. It's like continuing your 9-5 job for another 2-3 hours just so you could get your foot in all the right doors. Hey, whatever works right?
On the other hand, I have 3 finals and a portfolio due for next week. I'm on a time crunch & must finish everything by next Tuesday at 4:30 in order to be able to head to the city on Wednesday & go see Grease on Broadway. :) I'd like to say that I hope that goes as planned, but ha. You know things never do.
& just to end it off. Short story! I used to be.. umm 'cool' (for the lack of a better word - siiike. I just can't mention what kinda cool, but that's pretty obvious now isn't it? ;]) with this person on campus, but haven't spoken with them since.. uh October? I saw this person 3x last week, but they didn't see me. Hella laughed about it but brushed it off thinking okay, that's all. Welllll! To my surprise, as I was on my way to class on Tuesday I saw this person! We were crossing paths & didn't get to say hi to each other I guess cause we were both caught by surprise considering we haven't seen each other since then. Hella laughed & brushed it off again until I saw that person again today! I was walking back to my dorm, you know.. jamming out to some Keyshia Cole & I see this person walking thinking maybe thats the person I know! & well well well it happens to be them! In my head I'm like "Fuck fuck fuck!" and as we cross paths, this person stops me & says hi, asks me how it's going & gives me a hug. Awkwaaard turtle as hell! I haven't seen/spoken to this person all semester and it just happens to come down to the last few days at school when I see them. Totally pointless of me to mention that, but jewknow. I just had to. Hahah okiedokessss. That is all. :)
Despite the awkwardness at the beginning of the night, I felt good when I let there. The best way of dealing with situations like that (never having attended anything of that nature) is to be thrown into it, having no expectations. Aside from the whole business aspect, I felt like I was in Blair Waldorf's world, ahaha, mingling with others over a glass of spiced wine, lox and other hors d'oeuvres. There were hella oldies but goodies, many being benefactors of WPU. But yeah, suuuper good night. As much as I had a good time, I didn't realize how tiring these things could be! Even though it was one function, it gives me an idea of how wealthy people may look at these things. It's like continuing your 9-5 job for another 2-3 hours just so you could get your foot in all the right doors. Hey, whatever works right?
On the other hand, I have 3 finals and a portfolio due for next week. I'm on a time crunch & must finish everything by next Tuesday at 4:30 in order to be able to head to the city on Wednesday & go see Grease on Broadway. :) I'd like to say that I hope that goes as planned, but ha. You know things never do.
& just to end it off. Short story! I used to be.. umm 'cool' (for the lack of a better word - siiike. I just can't mention what kinda cool, but that's pretty obvious now isn't it? ;]) with this person on campus, but haven't spoken with them since.. uh October? I saw this person 3x last week, but they didn't see me. Hella laughed about it but brushed it off thinking okay, that's all. Welllll! To my surprise, as I was on my way to class on Tuesday I saw this person! We were crossing paths & didn't get to say hi to each other I guess cause we were both caught by surprise considering we haven't seen each other since then. Hella laughed & brushed it off again until I saw that person again today! I was walking back to my dorm, you know.. jamming out to some Keyshia Cole & I see this person walking thinking maybe thats the person I know! & well well well it happens to be them! In my head I'm like "Fuck fuck fuck!" and as we cross paths, this person stops me & says hi, asks me how it's going & gives me a hug. Awkwaaard turtle as hell! I haven't seen/spoken to this person all semester and it just happens to come down to the last few days at school when I see them. Totally pointless of me to mention that, but jewknow. I just had to. Hahah okiedokessss. That is all. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment